Despite being relatively unknown among the general public, Pass & Seymour have an extensive experience when it comes to designing and manufacturing anything from switches and receptacles to lighting controls and electric vehicle chargers. They place a high emphasis on making their products as safe and reliable as they possibly can and constantly strive to push new innovations for commercial, residential, and industrial electric charging use.
The Pass & Seymour’s L2EVSE Charging Station is unique because it operates only on 16A, compared to 30A or even 40A found in most other electric vehicle service stations. That means that it’s going to find most use among owners of older electric vehicles that are not capable of taking advantage of higher charging currents. Since most garages are likely to have a suitable wiring and circuit breaker in place, using this station is just a matter of plugging it instead of an older one.
Even though the market for a charger like this may be relatively small, we still consider it to be welcomed addition, as it gives EV owners an extra option to choose from.
Optional Pedestal Mounts
Pass & Seymour offer two optional pedestal mounts: a pedestal mount for a single EV charging station and a dual pedestal mount for two EV charging stations.
Both are designed for parking lots and sidewalks to give users an easy access to the charging station and provide the station itself with a durable support that can withstand even harsh weather conditions and the occasional misuse, thanks to the anodized aluminum Vista™ Architectural Column.
Pass & Seymour recognize that more and more businesses want to provide their employees with convenient charging options for their electric vehicles or use EV chargers as a way how to draw in more customers and increase their revenue. It’s unlikely that residential users would like to use these pedestal mounts, but the option to do so is certainly there.
What We Like
- Coiled cable: The charger comes with a very lightweight and slim coiled cable that measures 24-feet and plugs into the charger for easy cord management. Many EV owners report problems when it comes hauling those thick, heavy cables that are typical for high-current EVSEs. Because this station operates on such a low power, the cable can stay nicely light, so it can be easily picked up even by a small child. This is definitely a major plus and something that shouldn’t be taken lightly. EV owners who don’t need to use their vehicle on a daily basis should consider the Pass & Seymour’s L2EVSE Charging Station just because of its easy of use, especially if they are having problems with more typical charging cables.
- Auto-reset functionality: In the case of a minor electrical fault, the station is able to reset itself and re-try the entire charging process to prevent a lockout and low charge situations. A feature like this is welcomed in any charger, but it becomes even handier in a charger that’s expected to operate at relatively low voltages and charge for a long time without interruption.
- Weatherproof casing: This sophisticated-looking charger is actually rated NEMA 3R, which means that it protects against falling dirt and windblown dust, against weather hazards such as rain, sleet and snow, and is undamaged by the formation of ice. This allows the station be installed either indoor or outdoor depending on owner’s preference.
- Status indicator lights: The Pass & Seymour’s L2EVSE Charging Station is fitted with a set of status indicator lights that alert users to the readiness of the station and possible faults. The lights are adequately well positioned to be easily readable even from a distance, but they are not too bright, so that they would illuminate an entire garage and make neighbors think that the owner has forgotten to switch off the lights.
- RoHS approved: RoHS stands for Restriction of Hazardous Substances Directive 2002/95/EC, (RoHS 1), short for Directive on the restriction of the use of certain hazardous substances in electrical and electronic equipment. Simply put, this directive restricts the use of six hazardous materials in the manufacture of various types of electronic and electrical equipment with the intention to protect health and safety of end users.
- Safety features: The charger is able to detect a lack of ground, thanks to the Ground Continuity Monitoring feature. It also communicates with the vehicle prior to charging to confirm correct electrical connections and many problems that might otherwise arise.
- Delayed start: With this charger, you can easily use the delayed start option for off-peak charging, thus potentially save a substantial amount of money over the year.
What We Don’t Like
- Limited charging speed: Even though the limited charging speed is kinda the point of this unit, we still feel obliged to mention it here, if only to ensure that everyone is fully aware of what they are getting themselves into. According to the manufacturer, the charger can supply a full charge in 3-6 hours at up to 16 amps (3.8kW 240V) of output power. Of course, your vehicle’s battery capacity would have to be pretty small for the charging process to take just 3-6 hours as such a low charging rate. If you want more than that, look for an alternative.
- Dead space inside the unit: While the construction of this charger well thought out and looks nice, the inside space could have been utilized much better. There’s a lot of dead space inside the charger, which serves no purpose at all and could be completely eliminated with a clever re-design.
- Pressure on the charging plug: We have praised the charging cable for being lightweight, but, now, we have to criticize it for putting too much pressure against the car’s plug even when the car is parked just 9-10 feet away. The pressure is so excessive that we worry that the cable could damage the plug. Hopefully, it will loosen up over time, but there’s no way how to tell for sure.
The Pass & Seymour’s L2EVSE Charging Station is a well executed low-power charger that seems to know who its target audience is and gives plenty of reasons why it is a fantastic choice for anyone who is not concerned with longer charging times.