Small, portable electric vehicle chargers used to mean limited charging speed, but it seems that this notion will quickly become a thing of the past thanks to companies such as Leviton. Their newest generation of the Evr-Green line of chargers is capable of delivering almost 5 kW of power, while still remaining highly portable and entirely hassle-free.
In fact, the charger was designed to be the smallest wall-mounted EV charging station on the market. Leviton wanted to give owners of Level 1 chargers a good reason why they should adopt their Level 2 charging solution. To achieve their goal, they had to overcome the biggest barrier to purchase – high installation costs.
We can tell your right now that they managed to deliver a fantastic product that can be easily used with any 30A circuit breaker and an NEMA 6-30R receptacle. It delivers a very respectable 20 miles per every hour of charging and is comparable to the Bosch Power Xpress. However, unlike the Bosch Power Xpress, the Leviton Evr-Green Mini portable charger is smaller and sleeker.
The Leviton Evr-Green Mini charger comes in two versions: EVBL2-P12 and EVBL2-P18. As their names may suggest, the EVBL2-P12 comes with a 12-foot cable, and the EVBL2-P18 comes with a longer 18-foot cable. There’s no 25-foot option, but this shouldn’t be a problem for the vast majority of EV drivers.
What We Like
- Compact: The entire charger weight only around 2 pounds, and can be easily grasped by in the palm of the hand. Not only does this make it easier to operate, but it also makes the charger perfect backup solution for trips and general, everyday travel. You can simply stop the car and ask somebody to borrow you a half an hour of their electricity, anytime you feel like you are running out of juice and are in danger of not making it all the way to your destination.
- Easy installation: Installation of Leviton Evr-Green Mini charger is simple and inexpensive. All that’s required is a 30 A circuit-breaker and an NEMA 6-30R receptacle. The packaging includes a mounting bracket that can be installed anywhere on the wall. In most cases, all that’s required is to fasten the mounting bracket to the wall using appropriate screws/wall anchors for your specific installation location and slide the EVSE Charging Station onto the mounting bracket until the hook snaps into place. To remove the charger, just push the latch on the mounting bracket and move EVSE Charging Station upward.
- Weather-resistant: Weather-resistant construction never seems like a very important feature until its really needed. An unfortunate accident can happen anytime and you may not be around to notice it and do something about it. A heavy storm could cause rain to get in the garage or you could just drop the charger into a pond of water outside.
- Safe and reliable: Leviton is very proud of the fact that they manufacture some of the safest and most reliable chargers on the market. The Evr-Green Mini charger includes a ground monitor interrupter circuit, over and under current protection, over temperature protection, and over-voltage and short circuit protection. All of these safety mechanisms greatly reduce the possibility of damage to the charger or the electric vehicle it’s connected to. Also, the case is water and weatherproof and rated NEMA Type 6 for temporary submersion and extreme weather environments. These safety features are not just empty marketing claims either. The charger has passed an assortment of industry-standard tests and is certified for use in USA, Canada, and Mexico.
- Convenient LED indicator light: There are three LED status indicator lights on the charger: green, yellow, and red one. When the EVSE Charging Station is not energized, all indicator LEDs are OFF. Power indicator LED illuminates green when plugged into AC power outlet and the yellow charging light starts flashing when charging is in progress. If something should go wrong during the charging process, the red fault indicator LED will activate and either flash or glow solid, depending on the nature of the particular issue.
- Simple operation: We really appreciate how simple it is to operate the charger. All you need to do is connect the AC power plug to a 240V/30A dedicated electrical outlet and wait until the power indicator LED will light up. You can then plug the charge connector of the EVSE Charging Station into the charge port on the vehicle and watch for the charging light to indicate that the charging process has begun. When you are finished, just unplug the connector and return it to an appropriate place. There’s no need to worry about temporary interruptions, since the charger is able to automatically reset itself and resume the charging process.
- Great backup solution: If you are looking or a high-quality back-up charger that you can throw in the trunk of your card and use at work or when you visit your relatives, this might be the right choice. Unlike Level 1 chargers, the Leviton Evr-Green Mini charges fast enough to actually add some good mileage overnight.
What We Don’t Like
- No 25-foot option: As we’ve already mentioned, the charger doesn’t come in a 25-foot version. This is absolutely not surprising given its portable nature, but it would still add some utility for those who don’t want to install an additional outlet just to charge a second car.
The Leviton Evr-Green Mini EVSE is all around great product. It’s designed with attention to every detail and packed with advanced electronic components for maximum safety and reliability of operation. The charger offers a great way how to switch to Level 2 charging without spending any extra money on costly installation. Yes, it doesn’t charge as fast as 40A chargers, but its small form-factor and versatile nature makes up for it.