As the preferred partner of Toyota, Honda, Kia, and Ford, chargers designed and manufactured by Leviton are deployed in over 3,000 dealerships across the country. That’s because they meet all Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment (EVSE) Standards and Recommended Practices, including SAE J1772, NEC 625, UL 2231 and UL 2594. The new generation of home EVSEs, Leviton’s Evr-Green 400 Home Charging Stations, were designed with a modern, thermoplastic cover that makes the charger stand out in terms of its elegantly simple design and gives it a great level of protection.
Because the Leviton Evr-Green 400 Charging Station is the first UL listed charging station that can provide up to 40-Amp continuous at 240-Volt AC (9.6 kW output), expectations are high for it perform flawlessly and satisfy all needs of electric vehicle owners. A brief look at online reviews suggests that Leviton managed to deliver a great product, but we always like to see of ourselves if it holds up to our high standards.
Two different models of the Evr-Green 400 charger are currently available on the market. One, the Evr-Green 400 EVB40-PST, is used for surface mount receptacle installations, where the electrical box is mounted to the surface of the wall. The EVB40-P5T is designed for flush receptacle mounting.
However, both models are essentially the same and can be opened with torx screwdrivers. The cord can then be removed as an afterthought and switched from one place to the other by anyone who is at least moderately skilled in this kind of work. This is a good news because it gives the charger a bit more flexibility, which might come in handy if you ever decide to move to another house or just install the charger elsewhere.
What We Like
- Heavy-duty cover: The charger is housed in a heavy-duty thermoplastic cover, which both protects the inner enclosure and also gives the entire unit a modern look. The red and white color combination looks very appealing, and we also appreciate the inclusion of easily readable labels for LED lights. Leviton’s logo is fairly small and unobtrusive. The only other element on the Evr-Green 400 in a small blue charging rate sticker placed in the bottom left corner.
- Compact design: Nobody likes to hang a monstrous-looking charger in their garage and Leviton knows this. This charger is pleasantly compact and features a built-in inlet for the charging cable. The cable wraps around the unit for storage purposes, so no additional accessories are needed.
- User-friendly: One word that comes to mind when using the Leviton Evr-Green 400 is “simplicity”. From the simple plug-in nature of the charger to easy-to-read labels. All you have to do is to plug the charging cable into the charging port on your car and enjoy the worry-free charging process.
- Safe and tested: The Evr-Green 400 by Leviton is compatible with all electric vehicle supply equipment (EVSE) standards and recommended practices, including SAE J1772 NEC 625, UL 2231 and UL 2594. The charging station incorporates multiple levels of safety for the user, the vehicle, and the charging equipment. Every time the cable is plugged into the car, a self-test occurs to ensure that the unit is working properly. The integrated communication system verifies correct connections before charging can begin, and the auto-restart feature enables charging to restart following a minor fault.
- Status indicator lights: Three LED indicator lights are present on the front side of the charger to alert users about the power, charging, and fault status of the unit. Each LED light has its own colorful label, which makes it easy to tell what’s going on even from a relatively long distance. What’s more, these labels add something a bit extra to the charger’s look.
- Long-cable: No corners were cut short when it comes to the cable. The 25-foot charge connector cord length makes possible to reach a vehicle parked across the room from the charger without overly stretching the cable and possibly causing some damage. Even more convenient is that the cable is nicely thin and not too heavy.
- Non-permanent installation: Once you install the compatible mounting bracket, the installation of the Leviton Evr-Green 400 can be accomplished without any tools. The charger can then be removed from the bracket with the same ease, allowing owners to replace it or take with them in the event they move somewhere else.
- Fast charging: The charging station automatically optimizes the charge time for vehicles with onboard chargers larger than 6.6 kW. 40A is more than enough to outperform the vast majority of chargers currently available for such an affordable price.
- Weatherproof: A sufficient protection against water, weather, dust, and corrosion is provided by an NEMA type 4 watertight enclosure made of powder-coated steel.
- Warranty: The Leviton Evr-Green 400 EVSE comes with an industry leading 3-year limited warranty. Leviton stands by their products, and we believe that most customers will appreciate it.
- Endorsed by EV manufacturers: One good reason why to choose a charger manufactured by Leviton is the fact that they are preferred EVSE supplier for the Toyota, Honda, and Kia. These vehicles are guaranteed to work flawlessly with the Evr-Green 400, which means that the manufacturer will be more likely to assist you in case some problem occurs and won’t instantly blame it on the charger.
What We Don’t Like
- Mounting bracket is not included: The charger doesn’t ship with a mounting bracket, and customers have to purchase it separately as a part of Leviton’s installation kit. There’s simply no way how to buy only the mounting bracket by itself. The installation kit comes with a receptacle, an electrical box, a receptacle cover, and a mounting bracket to mount the charger. We see this as an unnecessary expense that Leviton should have avoided.
- No on/off switch: The absence of an on/off switch is certainly not a huge issue by any means, but it needs to be mentioned for completeness. It’s one of those things that are so easy to implement for the manufacturer that their absence is hard to justify.
- The lack of scheduling functionality: Owners of EV charging station have gotten used to taking advantage of off-peak hours. The Leviton Evr-Green 400, unfortunately, doesn’t support any kind of scheduling functionality, making it more difficult to save money on electricity.
Once again, Leviton showed why they are the preferred partner for so many EV manufacturers. The Leviton Evr-Green 400 is a great addition to a highly popular line of chargers. It has a proven track record of excellent reliability and comes with a 3-year manufacturer’s warranty. Customers who want fast Level 2 charging solution for their home don’t need to look much further.