EVoCharge is a U.S. company based that is comprised of Electric Vehicle and Automotive Industry enthusiasts. Their commitment and dedication to providing the best products and services to their Electric Vehicle Charging Infrastructure customers is manifested in EVoCharge Level 2 EV charger, which is said to be one of the most convenient 30A Level 2 (240VAC) EV chargers on the market.
The company’s long journey to where they are now started in 2009. Since then, EVoCharge has become one of North America’s leading EV charging infrastructure providers. They are known for their industry-leading EVoReel cable management solutions & products, industry-leading EVoReel cable management solutions & products. All their products are made in the USA and supported globally in many countries across the world.
What We Like
- Simple operation: The EVoCharge EVSE is designed with simplicity of use in mind. There’s no need to activate or deactivate the unit, just plug it into your vehicle and walk away. The charger can take care of everything and provide with a completely hassle-free charging experience.
- Fast charging: Compared to standard AC Level 1 EV charger, the EVoCharge EVSE can charge up to 8 times faster, while still being compatible with all EV and PHEV sold in the United States of America. In practice, this can mean a reduction from about 17 with the 120V charger to just over 3 hours. That’s because of the maximum output of 7.2kW delivered when used with a 40A circuit breaker.
- Indoor and outdoor use: The charger is certified for both indoor and outdoor use. The NEMA 6-50 that comes as a part of standard configuration can be easily removed for hardwire installation, thus allowing for even greater flexibility.
- Independent connector holster: The connector holster can be independently mounted anywhere on the wall to reduce the distance between the cable and the electric vehicle. Smaller distance means a lower likelihood of tripping over the cable and less weight to carry. This solution to cable management definitely beats having to wrap the cable around the charger or one of those flimsy-looking hooks that some manufacturers like to use.
- Warranty: A 2-year warranty is included for free with every EVoCharge EVSE. This tells us that the manufacturer believes in the quality of their product and is not afraid to stand behind this.
- Safety tested: The charger was independent safety tested and certified. It is UL Listed in US and Canada under the file number E469990. The product is proudly manufactured in the US and it’s clear that a lot of care and attention to detail went into its making.
- Clear instructions: Not a few chargers suffer from poorly written instructions that are more likely to confuse those who are trying to install them rather than help. Fortunately, the instructions for mounting the EVoCharge EVSE are easy to understand. The charger even comes with “life size” paper templates that can be placed on the wall to see exactly where to place the screws.
- Simple installation: The installation consists of securing four screws into a structure such as a wooden wall stud or a pedestal mount available from EVoCharge. The charger just slides onto the bracket, allowing it to be removed at any time.
- Power switch: At the bottom of the charger is a handy power switch, which allows the unit to be completely turned off to save energy and to make it just a bit safer when you need to leave your house for a long time. The same can be, of course, accomplished by turning off the circuit breaker or unplugging it from the circuit, but we find a dedicated button as the most convenient solution there is.
- LED indicator lights: Three LED indicator lights are placed on the unit to inform the owner about charging status and warn him or her in case something goes wrong and the charger requires an attention.
What We Don’t Like
- Short cable: At just 18 feet, the charging cable is a bit shorter than we would like to see. We consider 20 feet to be the minimal length that can be considered as conveniently long. Anything shorter than that is simply not convenient enough for a use in a two-car garage. Of course, extensions are readily available, but those can cause all sorts of nasty issues as they introduce multiple new points of failure. However, if you own just one electric vehicle, you should be able to park the car almost anywhere in your garage and still reach it.
- Lack of smart features: With no charging timer and a complete lack of wireless remote functionality, the EVoCharge EVSE is a basic solution for basic charging needs. If that’s enough will depend on individual customers. We actually quite like the idea of well-executed simplicity and can comfortably live without some more advanced features.
Our experience showed how it’s sometimes possible for a small company to rival big, established names and deliver a product that is many ways vastly superior to what they have to offer. Everything from the construction quality to the easy installation and versatile nature illustrates that US companies know how to engineer a great charger that offers a fantastic value to both business and home customers. Needless to say that we are more than happy to recommend it to just about anyone.