EV Power Pros are a network channel provider for ChargePoint, an electric vehicle infrastructure company, based in Campbell. They market themselves as a “one-stop resource for EV charging stations.” Their services and products cover home users, businesses, parking services, employers, and municipalities. All solutions offered by EV Power Pros are fitted with remote connectivity features and come with smartphone applications for on-the-go monitoring and station management.
The EV Power Pros 7.2 kW EV Charger is designed specifically to match needs of home users. Their main features are an easy installation, convenient remote holster, and affordability. But EV Power Pros also went the extra mile to make their charging station look sleek and modern, while also focusing on the practical side of things, such as ergonomics and construction quality.
What We Like
- Fast charging: The EV Power Pros 7.2 kW EV Charger is a level 2 charger, capable of charging 4 times faster than a level 1 charger. It’s compatible with most current electric vehicles. Level 2 charging is a must-have feature for anyone who relies on their electric vehicle on a daily basis and cannot afford to wait almost an entire day until the battery reaches its maximum capacity. It can be a relatively large investment, but it can greatly increase the utility of electric vehicle, allowing for multiple daily trips.
- Plug and charge: The charger includes an NEMA 6-50 power plug, so if you already have a compatible receptacle with an appropriate circuit breaker in place then all you have to do is plug the charger and start charging. Handy additions such as this one are always welcomed.
- Portability: The piece that attaches to the wall is on a slide-on bracket, which allows owners to just unplug it, grab it, and lift it up. This is perfect for long trips or as a way how a single charger can be shared by several neighbors. The body of the charge is small enough that it can comfortably fit into most car trunks.
- Easy installation: The installation of this charger is very simple, and the provided installation manual explains in detail everything you might need to know. The entire installation shouldn’t take more than just a few dozen minutes.
- Remote holster: The NEMA 3R rated case protects against falling dirt, against weather hazards such as rain, sleet and snow, and is undamaged by the formation of ice. Such a high level of environmental protection is possible because the cable holster is not a part of the case itself. Rather, can be mounted separately anywhere the owner may wish to. This allows for an improved cord placement and cord management. A good idea is to put the holster right beside the charging port on the car to avoid constantly climbing over cables.
- Versatility: Because the EV Power Pros 7.2 kW EV Charger can be mounted indoors and outdoors, owners can choose exactly how they would like it installed to best suit their needs. If they ever decide to move into a different house, they can install the charge wherever they want.
- Sturdy build: The seemingly unassuming outer case is actually sturdily built to face day-to-day use and even withstand the occasional accidental hit.
- Power switch: If there is one feature that a surprisingly large number of electric charging station manufacturers omit, it’s definitely an on/off power switch. Yet, despite the fact that this EV charging station is a plug-in, EV Power Pros spared no expense and included it in. This way, it’s possible to quickly switch the station completely off to save electricity and enjoy the peace of mind knowing that nothing can go wrong with the charger while you are away.
- Warranty: The charger comes with a 2-year long warranty for any manufacturer’s defects. We believe that 2 years is enough time to see if the charger performs up to expectations.
What We Don’t Like
- Short cable: The provided charging cable is only 18 feet long, which may not be enough for some users. Most other Level 2 charging stations offer, at least, 20 feet long charging cables and some can even reach 25 feet. The shorter cable necessitates some planning ahead to ensure that it will easily reach the charging port on the electric vehicle.
- Problems with auto shut off functionality: Some owners of the EV Power Pros 7.2 kW EV Charger report problems with the auto shut off functionality. Apparently, the charger doesn’t always automatically shut off when the car is fully charged. Instead, it keep pumping the power to the car, which could even cause a damage to the battery. The company seems to have fixed this issue with later models but left their older customer stuck with a charger that doesn’t really perform as it should.
- Bad customer service: The customer service of EV Power Pros receives a lot of critique online. They don’t seem to be fully aware of feedback left by their own customers, which definitely doesn’t make a favorable first impression. It also makes the act of communicating issues more difficult than it would have to be if they were already up to speed with what’s going on.
The EV Power Pros 7.2 kW EV Charger is a solid option if you can get it for a good price. The charger isn’t without a few flaws, although most of them can be attributed to issues with quality control rather than the overall design. Even the issues with bad customer service have to be taken with a grain of salt. It’s usually a handful of unlucky individuals, who are the most vocal of all customers. Still, with so much competition, there’s really a no good reason why anyone should go with a brand that receives less than stellar reviews and risk wasting their money.