With over 14,000 EV charging manufactured in the USA stations shipped, ClipperCreek can be proud of their 18 years of experience. The company is dedicated to improving our environment through the promotion of the plug-in electric vehicle industry.
They not only see electric vehicles as a convenient transportation method, but also as a critical element to the fight against global warming and reducing the world’s dependence on fossil fuels. Their products strive to set standards for safety and reliability by incorporating innovative features that always work, being easy to install, and, above all, safe to operate.
Charging stations by ClipperCreek are compatible with virtually all electric vehicles on the market and come in many different models and individual variations. In fact, you probably won’t be able to find another manufacturer with such a large selection of electric vehicle service equipment as ClipperCreek. In our review, we introduce ClipperCreek’s chargers, tell you about their main features, and try to figure out what are some of their main pros and cons.
Most other EVSE manufacturers limit their offering to just a few models. ClipperCreek, apparently, wants to give their customers as much choice as possible by producing dozens different models in several product lines. It can take quite a long time to go through them all, so we’ve decided to save you some time and tell you about them in here.
The LCS-20 is ClipperCreek’s basic line of charging stations. These chargers were built and tested to automaker standards and rated for both indoor and outdoor use. They feature a fully sealed NEMA 4 enclosure, which provides with reliable protection against the elements.
At just 16A, these chargers are definitely not the fastest Level 2 charging solution available on the market, but they still represent a good value and offer excellent reliability for those not concerned with charging speeds.
- LCS-20, 16 amp EV Charging Station, 25 ft cable
- LCS-20P, 16 amp EV Charging Station with NEMA 14-50 plug
- LCS-20P, 16 amp EV Charging Station, 25 ft cable, NEMA 6-50 plug
- LCS-20P, 16 amp EV Charging Station, 25 ft cable, NEMA L6-30 plug
- LCS-20P, 16 amp EV Charging Station, 25 ft cable, NEMA 14-30
The LCS-25 is a step above the LCS-20 line of chargers. All basics are the same, but the charging current has been bumped up to 20A, which means that they pack 5kW of power. A great news is that the extra power doesn’t come at the of size and weight; the unit is still very compact and sleek.
Provided is also a low profile cord hanger that stores cord and connector out of the way and keeps it secure.
- LCS-25P, 20 amp EV Charging Station, 25 ft cable, NEMA 14-30
- LCS-25, 20 amp EV Charging Station, 25 ft cable
- LCS-25P, 20 amp EV Charging Station, 25 ft cable, NEMA L6-30
- LCS-25P, 20 amp EV Charging Station, 25 ft cable, NEMA 14-50
- LCS-25P, 20 amp EV Charging Station, 25 ft cable, NEMA 6-50
The last member of the LCS family of chargers is called LCS-30. As the name suggests, these chargers can take full advantage of their 30 Amp circuits and deliver 5.8kW of power in a slim and sleek package. In fact, they are among the smallest units in the industry, despite being very durable and protected with a fully sealed NEMA 4 enclosure for installation indoors or outdoors. Nice extra features are status indicator lights that allow owners to know at a glance how the charging progresses.
- LCS-30, 24 amp EV Charging Station, 25 ft cable
- LCS-30P, 24 amp EV Charging Station, 25 ft cable, NEMA 14-30
The CS line of chargers is all about power. Even the less powerful model, the CS-60, is capable of delivering 11.5kW at 60A. Despite the high power output, the charging cable is still 25 feet long and relatively slim. The device is UL Listed and works with all J1772 compliant vehicles.
The CS-100 is like a bigger brother of the CS-60. It offers 19.2kW for EV charging, making it ClipperCreek’s most powerful UL Listed Level 2 electric vehicle charging station. The durable design ensures that it can be used both indoor and outdoor.
The HCS-40 is ClipperCreek’s most popular charging station. It was built and tested to automaker standards to ensure a reliable charge every time. The station is rated for indoor or outdoor use and works with all plug-in vehicles. Its main selling points are the affordable price, compact design, flexibility, and proven reliability.
- HCS-40, 32 amp EV Charging Station, 25 ft cable
- HCS-40P, 32 amp EV Charging Station, 25 ft cable, NEMA 14-50
- HCS-40P, 32 amp EV Charging Station, 25 ft cable, NEMA 6-50
ClipperCreek added several useful safety features when they were designing the HCS-50. The charger features a service ground monitor functionality, which constantly checks for the presence of proper safety ground and it is able to do automatic circuit reclosure after minor power faults. Because it consumes only minimal power on standby, it doesn’t come with a dedicated power button.
- HCS-50, 40 amp EV Charging Station, 25 ft over-molded cable
- HCS-50P, 40 amp EV Charging Station, 25 ft over-molded cable, NEMA 6-50
The most powerful HCS charger, the HCS-60 works with all plug-in vehicles, including Nissan Leaf, BMW i3, BMW i8, Chevy Volt, Ford Focus Electric, Fiat 500e, Ford C-Max, Ford Fusion Energi, and many others. It comes with an optional wall and pedestal mount and offers fast, 48A charging with ClipperCreek’s advanced safety features and minimal standby power consumption.
- HCS-60, 48 amp EV Charging Station, 25 ft over-molded cable
ClipperCreek takes international opportunities very seriously and offers a few chargers designed specifically for the European power grid. All of these chargers were tested to meet high standards of leading automakers.
- ECS-15/20 Int’l, 230V EV Charging Station, 25 ft cable
- LCS-20E Int’l, 16 amp 230 volt EV Charging Station, 25 ft cable
- LCS-15E Int’l, 12 amp, 230 volt EV Charging Station, 25 ft cable
Chargers that use the only 120V are slowly becoming obsolete, but they still have their own firm place on the market. Their reliable, compact, rugged nature makes them a very convenient charging solution for hybrids and as a cheap backup that can be carried in the trunk of the car. The least powerful model, the ACS-15, can recover up to 25 miles of charge in an 8-hour shift using a standard 120V supply power.
- PCS-15, 12 amp Portable EV Charging Station, 25 ft cable
- CS-25, 20 amp EV Charging Station, 25 ft cable
- ACS-20, 16 amp EV Charging Station, 25 ft cable
- ACS-15, 12 amp EV Charging Station, 25 ft cable
Cable Cradle, Wall Mounted
The ClipperCreek Cable Cradle mounts to a wall and helps EVSE owners store the charging cable and keep it off the ground when not in use. This is a must-have accessory because most ClipperCreek stations are too small to have the cable wrapped around their body. Furthermore, the cable cradle can be mounted anywhere, so you can easily position it close to your car to make the charging just a bit easier.
Wall Mount Connector Holster for SAE-J1772
Another great addition to any charging station is the Wall Mount J1772 Connector Holster. It can not only keep the cable off the ground but also protect the connect from dust and damage.
CP-15 Compact EVSE Tester (Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment)
While this tool probably won’t be of much use to regular home users, it is perfect for contractors installing charging stations without a vehicle available at installation. It can verify charging station functionality and fault response, thus ensuring that everything will go smoothly when the station is finally used to charge a real electric vehicle.
Wall Mount Retractor for ClipperCreek CS EV Charging Station Product Line
Charging stations installed in public places are frequently put at the mercy of users, who often forget or cannot be bothered to properly return the charging cable back to its holster. The Wall Mount Retractor from ClipperCreek removes this responsibility from users’ shoulders by automatically returning the cable back to its original place.
What We Like
- Easy to install: Charging stations from ClipperCreek are designed to be easy to install. Any qualified electrician or skilled owner will easily be able to install the station without any hassle at all.
- Durable: Experience from owners from all parts of the country confirm that even after six months of daily use in all kinds of weather the unit still perform flawlessly and doesn’t show any signs of use. The robust cable is easy to loop back around the unit when I disconnect, regardless of outside temperature. The plug snaps into the holster with a reassuring click, which makes you certain that it will stay in place. Add to the mix an improved rubber over molded cable and connector with extra impact and crush resistant, and you get a really tough charger.
- LED lights: Who doesn’t like LED indicator lights on their EV charger? They offer a convenient way how to check the charging status from a distance and can add a few style points if executed correctly.
- Cord hanger: Depending on which model you select, chances are that your ClipperCreek charging station will have an integrated cord hanger. This low profile cable storage solution is a fantastic way how to get the connector out of the way and keep it protected.
- Long charging cable: The vast majority of charger manufactured by ClipperCreek come with long, 25-foot charging cables. We really appreciate that no corners were cut short, as long cable makes charging easier and gives owners the freedom to park their car however they want.
- Warranty: All chargers come with 3-year warranty, which goes to show that the manufacturer stands behind their products.
- Minimal standby power consumption: ClipperCreek ensures that their chargers consume only a minimal amount of power when not in use. That’s why they don’t include a dedicated on/off switch – it’s simply not needed.
- Safety features: Three staples of most chargers by ClipperCreek are: service ground monitor, which constantly checks for the presence of proper safety ground; automatic circuit reclosure after minor power faults; and ground fault protection with fully automated self-test, which eliminates the need for testing by the user.
- Pedestal mounts: If you buy a charging station from ClipperCreek, you have a good chance of being able to purchase an optional pedestal or dual pedestal mount. These mounts are perfect for all commercial installation needs and also enable home users to install the charger basically everywhere they want to.
What We Don’t Like
- No built-in timer: None of ClipperCreek’s chargers have a built-in timer or scheduling. This makes it harder to take advantage of off-peak hours to save money on electricity. A good news is that many EVs allow users to schedule charging, thus essentially eliminating the need to do the same thing via the charging station.
- Confusing website: It would be an understatement to say that the way how ClipperCreek presents their chargers online is confusing. With so many different models, the company should really think hard about implementing a better way how to make sense of their offering and select the most suitable charger.
The one thing that definitely characterizes ClipperCreek is their amazing versatility. They sell so many chargers designed to fit so many different scenarios that just about everyone is sure to find something interesting. The company also goes to great lengths to make their products last a long time and is not afraid to stand behind them with a long warranty. All of this makes ClipperCreek an excellent partner for both business and home users.