Wouldn’t it be nice to have an EV charger that’s small and portable, yet able to charge your vehicle up to 5 times faster than a standard 110V outlet that came with the car? We certainly think it would, and, apparently, so does Bosch. Their Power Xpress 240V charging station is compact, robust, and versatile.
Users can choose between 12-30 amps of power, so that each vehicle can be safely charged with just one charger. This helps you save money on installation costs, by giving you the option to upgrade you circuit breaker and configure the charger to deliver full 7.2 kilowatts of power as you see fit.
The Bosch Power Xpress comes with an 18’ cable that is designed for J1772 compatible electric vehicles. Included with the charger is also a handy wall cord holder that you can use to store the cable.
Safety of operation should be guaranteed by UL certification in US and Canada, as well as by many years of expertise as the world’s largest supplier of automotive components. Bosch has already supplied thousands of EV charging stations to clients from all over the world, and their popularity is a great testament to the excellent engineering quality and reliability.
What We Like
- Compact design: The Bosch Power Xpress charger was designed to be very compact and lightweight. It’s best suited for environments with limited space, such as small residential garages or busy repair shops. Its plug-in design makes it easy to safely store it when not in use or share with neighbors or friends. You can also place it in the trunk of your car as a backup charging solution. The 18’ cable is long enough to make charging comfortable and provide you with enough reach to avoid tugging on the cable even when you have to charge from a hard-to-reach outlet.
- Variable power: The main feature that differentiates the Bosch Power Xpress from other chargers on the market is the ability to choose between 12-30A of power. At 30A, you’ll be able to charge up to 5 times faster compared to a standard 110V outlet.
- Weather-resistant: The charger features NEMA 4X weatherproofing, which ensures a degree of protection of the equipment inside the enclosure against ingress of solid foreign objects (windblown dust; a protection with respect to harmful effects on the equipment due to the ingress of water (rain, sleet, snow, splashing water, and hose directed water); an additional level of protection against corrosion and the external formation of ice on the enclosure. What’s more, the included charging cable doesn’t become stiff even in sub-zero temperatures, allowing for use in harsh environments.
- Warranty: One- or three-year-long warranty secures your investment and guarantees that you will be back up and running in no time, in case something goes wrong. Bosch has a network of services in all states and always responds quickly to any problem.
- Ground-fault protection: The charging station is able to detect a presence of a ground fault and automatically cut off the flow of power to the vehicle. This protects both the operator and the vehicle from an electric shock hazard and ensures a safe supply of power to the vehicle.
- Automatic reset: The Bosch Power Xpress has built-in reset functionality, which is activated every time the main line side power supply is interrupted during charging or in the case of a ground fault. If the station fails to reset itself and resume charging, an appropriate indication light will activate on the front panel.
- Ground assurance monitoring: To assure a safe electrical ground, the Bosch Power Express charging station features a ground monitoring circuit that monitors the ground status and greatly increases the overall safety of the unit.
- Self-testing: Bosch went above and beyond to make the Bosch Power Xpress as safe and as maintenance-free as possible. They included a specially designed self-testing and diagnostics circuitry, which checks whether the charger operates as it should before each charging cycle.
What We Don’t Like
- The shadow of the NHTSA investigation: The Bosch Power Xpress charger was subjected to an investigation led by National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Apparently, it was responsible for damaging a Nissan Leaf and melting terminals on the plug and on the receptacle on the car. Nissan stated that the accident was not caused by the car and denied any warranty coverage. You should keep in mind that this investigation happened as a result of a single incident and doesn’t not tell much about the safety and quality of the charger.
The Bosch Power Xpress shows the level of ingenuity that designers at Bosch possess. The charger offers versatility packed into a small package that is highly suitable for people with limited free space or busy repair shops that have to charge multiple vehicles parked at different spots.